skip to main content

Title IX

What is Title IX?

Title IX of the Education Amendment of 1972 prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance.

Sexual harassment, including sexual violence, is a form of sex discrimination and is therefore prohibited under Title IX. Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal, nonverbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature constitute sexual harassment when this conduct is so severe, persistent or pervasive that it explicitly or implicitly affects an individual’s employment, unreasonably interferes with an individual’s work or educational performance, or creates an intimidating or hostile work or educational environment.

Texas A&M University is committed to providing an environment of academic study and employment free from harassment or discrimination to all segments of its community; its faculty, staff, students, guests and vendors; and will promptly address all complaints of discrimination, sexual harassment, and related retaliation in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.  (See the TAMHSC Notice of Nondiscrimination and Abuse)

How do I report Title IX issues?

Margaret (Peggy) B. Zapalac is designated as Texas A&M University’s Interim Title IX Coordinator. She is responsible for providing oversight, leadership, and coordination for TAMU's Title IX compliance efforts regarding discrimination based on sex, sexual harassment (sexual violence), and related retaliation and for supporting a safe and respectful academic, working, and living environment.

You may also contact the TAMHSC Deputy Title IX Coordinator, Mr. Jim Nachlinger at 979-436-9207 or

If you believe you or someone has been subjected to (1) sexual harassment by a University faculty or staff member, student, or TAMU visitor; or (2) any other form of sex-based discrimination under Title IX, report such misconduct or file a formal complaint with the Title IX Coordinator or official contacts listed below:


If the alleged offender is a: Student Faculty Staff or third party
Then the official contact is:

College of Dentistry Students
Assoc. Dean for Student Affairs
Dr. Jack Long

College of Medicine Students
Assoc Dean for Student Affairs
Dr. Gary McCord

College of Pharmacy Students
Asst Dean for Student Affairs
Dr. Gregory Sawyer

College of Nursing Students
Assoc. Dean for Student Affairs
Ms. Kathryn Cochran

School of Public Health Students
Director, Student Affairs
Ms. Erin Schneider

Institute of Biosciences and Technology Students:
Exec. Assc. Director
Dr. Peter Davies

College of Dentistry Faculty
Assoc. Dean for Academic Affairs
Dr. Charles Berry

College of Medicine Faculty
Assoc Dean for Faculty Affairs
Dr. Wei-Jung Chen

College of Pharmacy Faculty
Assoc Dean for Academic Affairs
Dr. Steven Peterson

College of Nursing Faculty
Assoc. Dean, Academic Affairs
Dr. Debra Mathews

School of Public Health Faculty
Dr. Thomas McDonald

Institute of Biosciences and Technology Students
Professor and IBT Director
Dr. Cheryl Walker

Dentistry Staff/Third Party
Regional HR Director
Ms. Pat Brouwer

Medicine Staff/Third Party
Business Administrator I
Ms. Lori Ellison

Pharmacy Staff/Third Party
Human Resources Officer
Ms. Carmen Rojas

Nursing Staff/Third Party
Assoc. Dean Fin & Admin
Ms. Shirley Davidson

Public Health Staff/Third Party
Asst. Dean Finance & Admin
Mr. John Zamora

Biosciences and Technology Staff/Third Party
Regional HR Director
Ms. Diana Taylor

HSC Central Administration
Director, HR
Mr. Carl McLin

For those who would like to report confidentially, a student can contact a counselor in the Student Counseling Service at 979-845-4427.   A staff or faculty member can contact a counselor in the Employee Assistance Program at 979-845-3711.

Inquiries or complaints about discrimination may also be directed to the United States Equal Opportunity Commission ( 800-669-4000) or the United States Department of Education Office of Civil Rights (214-661-9600).

Reporting Emergencies – Call 9-1-1 or local law enforcement


Reporting, Bryan/College Station:
University Police Department — 979-845-2345
Bryan Police Department — 979-209-5300
College Station Police Department — 979-764-3600
Brazos County Sheriff’s Office — 979-361-4900


Reporting, All Other Locations:
Dallas Police Department — 214-671-3001 or 214-671-3901
Dallas County Sheriff — 214-653-3450
BCD Security — 214-838-8335

Houston Police Department — 713-884-3131
Harris County Sheriff — 713-221-6000
IBT Security — 713-677-7464

Kingsville Police Department  — 361-592-4311
Kleberg County Sheriff — 361-595-8500
University Police (TAMUK) — 361-593-2611

Round Rock Police Department — 512-218-5500
Williamson County Sheriff — 512-943-1300
Round Rock Campus Security — 512-341-4900

Corpus Christi Police Department — 361-887-2222
Nueces County Sheriff — 361-886-2600

Reporting Criminal Incidents

If you are victim of sexual assault or sexual violence, or know someone who has been a victim of a sexual assault or sexual violence, you should contact one of the offices above, depending on who the complaint is against (faculty/staff, visitor or student) and you should immediately contact the Texas A&M University Police Department at 979-845-2345.

When a crime is reported, both a Title IX investigation and criminal investigation will occur.

To report abuse or neglect to DFPS contact:
The Texas Abuse Hotline — 800-252-5400, Sexual Assault Hotline — 800-656-HOPE,  www.RAINN.orgNatl Sexual Violence Resource Ctr. — 717-909-0710,  www.NSVRC.orgNatl Coalition Against Domestic Violence — 303-839-1852,

Educational Information

Applicable Rules and SAPs

Student Rules Faculty Rules Staff Rules
Student Rule 47, Sexual Harassment and Related Retaliation
University SAP 08.01.01.M1.02, Investigation and Resolution of Complaints Against Faculty Members for Illegal Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, or Related Retaliation Charges
University SAP 08.01.01.M1.01, Investigation and Resolution of Complaints Against Non-Faculty Employees and Unrelated Third Parties for Illegal Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, or Related Retaliation Charges
Student Rule 7.1.10, Absences Related to Pregnancy
University Rule 08.01.01.M1, Civil Rights Compliance
University Rule 08.01.01.M1, Civil Rights Compliance
Student Rule 10.6, Grading Related to Pregnancy

What happens when I file a Title IX Complaint?

There is an administrative process to address complaints of discrimination based on sex, to protect victims, and to prevent reoccurrence. The details of the complaint are discussed between the victim or the reporting party and an initial interviewer. A course of action will ensue based on the information gathered during the interview.

Every victim, witness, or third party has the right to present his or her complaint and the right to an impartial investigation of that complaint. Further, individuals have the right to present witnesses and other evidence. The alleged victim and the alleged perpetrator, as well as any witnesses identified will be interviewed.

A decision will be rendered on whether the complaint is or is not substantiated and what disciplinary action will be taken, if any. Both parties will be notified of action taken which affects the victim. While the finding cannot be appealed, any resulting disciplinary action can be appealed.

Counseling and other resources are available and will be offered to both the alleged victim and alleged perpetrator. In addition to your right to file a Title IX complaint, you have the right to file a complaint with local law enforcement if you believe a crime has occurred.

Related Laws and Guidance

Last edited by: terrell 05/08/2017