skip to main content

Visiting Professors & Scholars

Visiting Professor/Scholar is defined as those visitors to academic units who require use of HSC facilities to conduct their research or scholarship activities.  The title of “Visiting Professor” refers to those who will share their knowledge and talents with HSC faculty through extended lectures, demonstrations, or teaching of new research techniques.   The title of “Visiting Scholar” refers to those who visit the HSC to advance their own knowledge.  The titles are not intended for visitors on short-term visits to present seminars, lectures or consultations.

TAMHSC Visiting Professors & Scholars Guideline

All visiting professors/scholars who wish to apply for a Universal Identification Number (UIN) in order to gain access to various HSC facilities and computing information resources should complete those applicable sections in the VPS Form (link provided below). Your Host Department Liaison can assist you with the preparation of the necessary documentation for submission and assignment.

Procedures for Applying for a UIN

Informational Packet for Visiting Professor/Scholar

The following  is REQUIRED:

  1. Completed UIN Processing Checklist
  2. Completed and signed UIN Issue Certification Form
  3. Copy of Identity Verification Documents
  4. Confirmation of completed/approved background check
  5. Completed and signed Intern/Volunteer Waiver Form (when applicable)
  6. Signed Data Use Access Agreement
  7. HSC Annual Training Needs Assessment Form
  8. Computing Account Request Form (HSC-ID)
  9. Occupational Health Program: Immunization Form - Clinical & Biological Exposures
  10. Immunization Form (provided if needed for physician visit)
  11. Documentation Required for J-1 Scholars
  12. Documentation Required for J-1 Students/Interns
  13. Other related documents

DEPARTURE PROCESS - Online Completion of the Notification of Resignation and Termination Form is required at the end of the term.

After review, and approval, the UIN will be granted, and distributed, to the host departmental liaison for further action. If you have any questions, please contact HSC Risk Management at

See Forms and Resources for all other Risk Management related forms.

Last edited by: kathy.miller 05/19/2017