Strategic planning and effectiveness at the Texas A&M Health Science Center (TAMHSC) is supported, monitored, and assessed by the OAE. Areas of oversight include:
- Establishment of a consistent planning cycle
- Provision of resources related to strategic planning and best practices for developing outcomes and targets
- Coordination of the Strategic Effectiveness Committee which provides support for planning initiatives across the HSC
- Training for the reporting software, TracDat
The TAMHSC support units maintain primary responsibility for the planning and assessment for their respective offices. Each Vice President's office and TAMHSC college/school maintains an overarching strategic plan which aligns with the TAMHSC strategic plan, TAMHSC aspirations, and Texas A&M University (TAMU) Vision 2020. Professional schools must also adhere to the strategic planning requirements of their professional accrediting agencies.
TAMHSC Planning and Assessment Cycle:
Strategic planning and assessment is an ongoing process which is cyclical in nature and focuses on the use of results to make data-driven decisions regarding improvements to outcomes and assessment methods. The TAMHSC follows the cycle established by TAMU to ensure consistency of planning and reporting processes.
- Develop and update office/college missions and strategic outcomes/objectives based on previous year's results. Mission and outcomes must align with the overarching institutional goals.
- Annual updates to missions and outcomes conducted by August 15.
- Evaluate action plans and updated outcomes to design, modify, and improve assessment plans, key performance indicators, and targets.
- Annual design and development of assessment plans conducted by September 1.
- Implement improved plans, engage in assessment activities, and gather results.
- Annual implementation occurs from September 1 - August 1.
- Interpret results and evaluate outcomes. Summarize the results analysis and develop action plans for the following year.
- Annual analysis conducted from July 1 - August 1.
- Use assessment results and action plans to make data-driven decisions regarding the need for modifications and improvements to offices/colleges.
- Modifications and improvements assessed from August 1 - September 1.