Welcome to CARE
Every ten years, all institutions of higher education are required to engage in a process of reaffirmation of accreditation with their geographic regional accrediting organization. Texas A&M Health Science Center’s accreditation with SACS (the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) was reaffirmed in June 2012.
As part of this process, the HSC was required to develop a Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP); a blueprint for a 5-year course of action to enhance student learning. The QEP must be based on needs identified at the institution. SACS requires a broad base of constituencies to be included in the topic selection, development and implementation of the plan, as well as assessment of the effectiveness of the plan’s activities in improving student learning. The HSC’s selected QEP is called CARE: Critically Appraise Relevant Evidence.
Even though the HSC merged with Texas A&M University on July 15, 2013 and is now considered a single unit with Texas A&M for SACS accreditation purposes, CARE continues to play a prominent role in the HSC’s commitment to exceptional student learning.
The Goals and Outcomes of the CARE Initiative
Goal 1. Develop students’ skills in critical thinking.
Students will be able to apply critical thinking skills of:
- Analysis and Interpretation
- Evaluation and Explanation
- Deductive Reasoning
- Inductive Reasoning
Goal 2. Develop students’ skills in evidence-based decision making.
Students will be able to apply evidence-based decision making skills of:
- Asking Focused Questions
- Systematic Retrieval of Evidence
- Critical Appraisal of Evidence
- Application of Results to Practice
- Evaluating Performance
- Assessing or Designing Research
Goal 3. Develop capacity and resources to teach critical thinking and evidence-based decision making.
Faculty members will be trained to:
- Assess critical thinking and evidence-based decision making skills
- Identify appropriate teaching resources for didactic and clinical environments
- Design instruction to enhance critical thinking and evidence-based decision making skills
- Model the use of critical thinking and evidence-based decision making skills