Go to content

April 11, 2002

The Texas A&M University System Health Science Center

Minutes of the HSC Faculty Senate Quarterly meeting

April 11, 2002

10: a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Senators present: Robin Autenrieth, Larry Bellinger, Byron Benson, Jane Bolin, Paul Brandt, Cliff Buckley, Alicia Dorsey, Charlie Foulks, Larry Gamm, Jose Gonzalez, Marvin Hirsh, Barbara Miller, Ed Miller, Tom McKinney, Jeana O'Brien, Alan Parrish, Andrew Spicer, Kishore Wary, Carolyn Wilson,

Senators absent: Dennis Bastron, Peter Buschang, John Gelderd, David Grogan, Geoffrey Kapler, Mingyoa Liu, George Martinez, Cynthia Meininger, Tom Peterson, Robert Probe, Dave Zawieja

Call to Order: In the absence of Speaker Peterson, Deputy Speaker Dorsey called the meeting to order at 10:19 a.m.

Confirmation of a quorum: It was determined that only 13 senators were present; however, Deputy Speaker Dorsey indicated that since no vote was to be taken, the meeting could continue.

Approval of minutes: The minutes of the Faculty Senate meeting held on February 14, 2002 were approved as written. Secretary/Treasurer McKinney mentioned that Speaker Peterson had discussed with him that there were issues brought forward during the Committee of The Whole that had been previously discussed and that it was not appropriate for this to occur.

Guests present: Deputy Speaker Dorsey introduced Dr. Ciro V. Sumaya, Dean of the School of Rural Public Health to address the Senate since SRPH was the host for the meeting. Dr. Sumaya gave a brief history of the school and discussed the speed with which the student body and the faculty have grown. He indicated that a new Ph.D. program has just been approved and that the school has received several major grants. A new building for the school should be in place by 2005. He also indicated that one strength of the school is the outreach partnerships that have been developed along the Texas/Mexico border.

Comments from the Speaker: Deputy Speaker Dorsey gave a report of the March 28th meeting of the Executive Committee with Dr. Dickey. Items discussed in the meeting included: 1) the importance of a dual path of communication with the Caucus leaders being the conduit through which information can be passed to the faculty from the HSC Administration and vice versa, 2) the Senate is the means for faculty issues to be communicated to the HSC Administration, 3) the Senate has a reputation in the HSC Administration that issues that come to the Senate stay there. Dr. Dickey indicated that the Senate needs to be timely in responding to whatever issue is before it, 4) SACS process is all about strategic planning and that the Senate should have a Strategic Plan. The Senate needs to have an agenda and make an annual report on the assessment of results, 5) it is important for a representative of the HSC Administration to come to the Senate to give updates on issues of concern (budget for example), 6) secretarial help for the Senate has been provided by Dr. Dickey's office and Denise Drosche will begin attending Senate meetings in May, 7) money for travel and hosting of meetings will be decided after Dr. Dickey presents the issue to the Executive Committee of the HSC and gets input on how to handle the situation, 8) funds for the Senate Website.

Deputy Speaker Dorsey also reported that the HSC Executive Committee Retreat discussed the issue of how to bring the components together as a functional HSC.

Old Business:

CAFERRT: Deputy Speaker Dorsey indicated that the latest information about this document is that it is still "locked up in legal". One nomination each for the Chair and the Vice Chair for CAFERRT were received and at the last Executive Committee were voted into office. Senator Autenrieth (SRPH) is the Chair and Dr. John Wright (BCD) is the Vice Chair.

Post Tenure Review Document: Deputy Speaker Dorsey reported that some rules need clarification before this document and CAFERRT can be reported back to the Senate.

Constitutional Amendment: this issue generated much discussion from Senators and from other faculty present. Issues such as: 1) GSBS having double representation, 2) if GSBS representation is lost, who would bring graduate level issues to the Senate since these may be very different from other student issues, 3) pathway to the Senate for issues of concern to GSBS Administration if representation is lost, 4) GSBS has apparently not had a caucus meeting to date, 5) long-term issues for the GSBS are important and might present problems in the future if representation is eliminated now. There was considerable discussion about the pluses and minuses of eliminating the representation for the GSBS at this time.

Personnel and Welfare Committee: Senator Bolin gave a report of the committee's work on documents for the determination of Emeritus Professors and Distinguished Professors. Emeritus Professor status is institutional recognition of "long-standing and faithful service". Distinguished Professor is given to someone who is in the top 5% of their profession, who has changed basic understanding or the direction of their discipline, etc. Both tenured and non-tenure faculty are eligible for these honors. Senator Foulks asked if Clinical Scientists would be eligible for recognition. Senator Bellinger suggested that the recommendation go from the Dean of a component to the HSC President and then to the Chancellor and the Board of Regents. Senator Buckley suggested that the P&T Committee of the HSC could handle this process since they handle the issue of faculty qualifications. A question was raised also about who could nominate and who would initiate the process. The Executive Committee is to review changes in the documents and bring them to the May Senate meeting for voting.

New Business:


SACS Site Visit Report: at 11:30 a.m., the agenda was interrupted so that Dr. Kelly Hester could address the Senate to give a report on the Site Visit Team's exit interview. He said that there was a fair and equitable evaluation given by the Team and that the Team was reasonably impressed in the progress in certain areas of the HSC and very impressed in the progress in certain components and felt welcome at all components. He said that the Team made 8 recommendations and 6 suggestions. A response from the HSC is due in September and must address how the recommendations will be handled. The SACS Committee will meet in December to decide about accreditation. He indicated the main question of the Team was "are you really a Health Science Center or just components." Dr. Hester indicated that the Steering Committee was basically happy with the review process. He also indicated that there were basically 4 recommendations with one of them divided into 4 sub groups. He then read a list of the recommendations and made comments regarding the GSBS and that it should be advanced in a way appropriate for the HSC. Also, an issue of great concern to the Team was the implementation of information technology to further the mission of the HSC. Technology issues mentioned included establishing a clear purpose that is supportive of HSC mission and goals. Policy issues regarding allocation of resources and evaluation of effectiveness were also mentioned. It appeared that two of the areas of great concern of the Team were that: 1) the HSC must demonstrate a coherent program of student development services (what does the HSC do to insure that everyone is doing what is necessary for student support), 2) the allocations be brought together for a HSC. Dr. Hester indicated that the response to SACS must clearly demonstrate that these two issues are being addressed.

Suggestions included: 1) refine the Mission and Purpose Statement, 2) create an Institutional Research office, 3) develop a clear IT program with up to date equipment, software, etc., 4) continue to expand institutional development, 5) centralize business and finance affairs, 6) student financial aid should be centralized with BCD and COM interacting more.

After Dr. Hester finished his presentation, Deputy Speaker Dorsey indicated that Dr. Dickey will distribute a list of the recommendations to everyone and that the HSC will know in January about the outcome of the accreditation process.

Regents Professor Award Nomination Procedure: Dr. Elvin Smith has asked the Senate to be responsible for conducting the nomination process for the Regent Professor Award. He wants the Senate to do it this year. Questions were raised about how this process has been handled in the past and how would the Senate go about doing it now. Deputy Speaker Dorsey suggested that the group of Caucus Leaders could handle the nominations and then send the results to the Executive Committee to bring to the entire Senate. Senator Foulks moved that the Senate handle the process and that the Caucus Leaders run it at their respective components. This motion passed unanimously.

Evaluation of HSC FAPT Policy: Deputy Speaker Dorsey indicated that there is concern about equity of application of use of the FAPT document. She asked if the Senate wants to take on the task of evaluating how the document has been used. One question seems to be into what category do certain activities go as far as the criteria and Senator Autenrieth (alternate to the HSC FAPT Committee) mentioned that letters to the HSC Committee differ widely making interpretation by the committee difficult. Senator Buckley stated that the HSC FAPT Committee cannot evaluate as accurately as the component FAPT Committees can; therefore, the component committees should be the primary source of evaluation. He suggested that the HSC FAPT Committee could supervise the overall process but not review the content. Senator Gamm indicated that he would hate to see the HSC FAPT Committee reduced to just a supervisory group since there can be difference between committees and Deans. Senator Barbara Miller stated that an issue of concern is how service is evaluated. Senator Foulks moved for the Senate to review the HSC FAPT document. This motion was seconded and passed unanimously. The Bylaws state that the Personnel and Welfare Committee will handle this process. Deputy Speaker Dorsey then changed the committee to elect a chair and establish a time line for bringing to the Senate their recommendation for Senate discussion. Senator Buckley suggested that the Personnel and Welfare Committee should poll the component FAPT Committees where problems exist.

Committee of the Whole: Secretary/Treasurer McKinney opened the committee and asked if there was business to be brought forward. There was none.

Adjournment: A motion for adjournment was made, seconded, and passed unanimously. The meeting adjourned at 12:32 p.m.

Respectfully,

Tom McKinney

Secretary/Treasurer

HSC Faculty Senate