Apr. 12, 2001
The Texas A&M University System Health Science Center
Minutes of the HSC Faculty Senate meeting At College Station
April 12, 2001
From 10:13 a.m-2:20 p.m.
Senators present:, Robin Autenrieth, Sue Carozza, Robert Cederberg, Alicia Dorsey, Charles Foulks, John Gelderd, Dean Hudson, Geoffrey Kapler, George Martinez, Tom McKinney, Gerald Meininger, Barbara Miller, Ed Miller, Jeana O'Brien, Lynne Opperman, Alan Parrish,, Tom Peterson, Robert Probe, Marty Scholtz, Tom Stanford, Dave Zawieja
Senators absent: Dennis Bastron, Paul Gershon, Fred Gimble, Marvin Hirsh, James Martin, Frank Perez-Guerra
Guests present: None
Call to Order:
After checking with all TTVN sites, it was determined that all were present except the IBT site. Speaker Opperman called the meeting to order at 10:13 a.m. after it was determined that a quorum was present.
Approval of minutes:
The minutes of the Faculty Senate meeting on March 8, 2001 were amended (senators Opperman and Stanford had been erroneously marked as present. Senator O'Brien's name had been misspelled as O
Welcome new Senator: Speaker Opperman welcomed the new senator for BCD, Carolyn Wilson. She replaces senator Bob Hutchins who resigned previously. Also, Speaker Opperman extended a welcome to Thlisha Washington who is a graduate student at the SRPH and works in the HSC President's office part-time. She was absent because of an oversight of informing her of the meeting time and location.
FAPT Document The document that the FAPT Committee had presented to the Senate at the last meeting was analyzed and discussed. This document consisted of changes made to the original document of the HSC. The Senate did a line item evaluation of the changes with the following results:
A motion was made, seconded, and passed unanimously to accept items # 1 and 2 as presented.
Item #3 (>20% changed to approximately 20%) produced several topics of discussion including:
a. It is difficult to track exact percentage of time
b. The document needs to be specific about time from a legal aspect
c. Deans and department chairs are the ones to "police" time spent by faculty
Concern about the "time per day" vs "time spent over an entire year"
Concern about future administrations interpretation of document's meaning
Suggest leaving page 3, 1st paragraph intact from previous document
A motion was made, seconded, and passed that suggested change #3 not be accepted. Two senators voted against the motion.
A motion was made, seconded, and passed unanimously to accept Section C of the old document (except for a typo on page 3 line 10).
Senator Ed Miller suggested changing >50% effort for page 2, #2a,b to >20% effort to promote
A question was raised about the title designation for adjunct faculty. Senator Foulks indicated that Scott & White would have a problem with modified title. Senator Dorsey inquired about "joint" faculty appointments. She indicated that "joint" means in the system and "adjunct" means outside of the system. She made a motion and Senator Ed Miller seconded it stating that: (1) Section I. B. should be changed to indicate "Joint, Adjunct, and Clinical Faculty". (2) The second sentence, third line should read as follows: "The Clinical Faculty title will be used for faculty whose training and employment is primarily in patient care. The Joint Faculty title will be used for faculty with primary faculty appointments in other HSC or TAMU components. The Adjunct Faculty title will be used for faculty with primary faculty appointments outside of the HSC or TAMU". (3) The last sentence should include "Joint" as a modified prefix to include "Joint Professor, "Joint Associate Professor, "Joint Assistant Professor". The motion passed.
A motion was made and seconded to accept item #8 as presented in the recommended changes; it was defeated by a vote of 9 against, 8 for and 2 abstentions. A substitute motion was made and seconded to have the initial appointment annually renewable for the first 3 years of service. This motion passed
A motion was made, seconded, and passed to accept items #9 through 12.
Items #13 and 14 should have inserted into them the motion that was passed in item #8 as well as 50% should be inserted. All other items should be checked to see if the percentage should read ">50%".
A motion was made, seconded and passed to delete items #15 and 16.
Items #17 and 18 should be checked for consistency with the substitute motion passed for item #8.
A motion was made, seconded, and passed stating that item # 20 should have the first bullet changed to "publications" and leave second bullet as "creation", but add "publications" to the list.
A motion was made, seconded, and passed to accept items # 21 and 22.
A motion was made, seconded, and passed to change the bullets to include "existing, new, or continuing education courses" on page 21 under "Scholarship/Research".
A motion was made, seconded, and passed to accept item #23.
A motion was made, seconded, and passed to make a format change in the heading from "C" to "3".
Interim Vice President for Research
Speaker Opperman announced that Dr. Jim West had been appointed by Dr. Cole as the Interim Vice President for Research for the HSC.
GSBS Interim Dean
Speaker Opperman announced that Dr. John Quarles had bee appointed by Dr. Cole as the Interim Dean of GSBS.
Director of IBT
Speaker Opperman announced that Dr. Richard Finnell had been appointed by Dr. Cole as Director of the IBT.
Mission and Goals Statement
A motion was made, seconded, and passed to accept the new Missions and Goals statement that Dr. Solomon had sent to senators. It was pointed out that the concerns of the Senate had been addressed in the revised document.
Senators Gelderd and Zawieja gave an update on the progress of the Web Page for the Senate. They are still gathering information to be included on the page.
Several motions were put forward for discussion, seconded and passed as follows.
1. Change "12.01.99.M2" to "12.01.99.Z1.02." Delete "UNIVERSITY" and "TENURE AND PROMOTION" and add "HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER, ETHICS, AND RIGHTS", so that the statement reads "UNIVERSITY HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER STATEMENT ON ACADEMIC FREEDOM, ETHICS, RESPONSIBILITY, AND RIGHTS"
2. Under 1, delete "tenure and promotion" and replace with "and rights"
3. Delete "2.1.1" and "2.1.2." and replace with "Faculty definitions are listed in HSC Rule 12.01.Z1.01 under 1. Faculty Tracks Overview"
4. Under: 1, 2.2.2, 2.2.4, 3.2.1, 3.2.3, 3.2.5, 6.1.3, 6.3.3, 7.1.1, 7.1.2 (twice), 7.1.3, 7.2.2, 8.1.3, 126.96.36.199.1, 188.8.131.52, 9.3.5, 9.5.2, all iterations of "Texas A & M University" should be changed to read "Texas A & M University System Health Science Center".
5. Under 2.2.3, "nine months" should be changed to "nine to twelve months".
6. Under 184.108.40.206, 2.5 paragraph 2, 2.5 paragraph 3 (three times), 3.2.5, 7.2.2, all iterations of "college" or "colleges" should be changed to "component" or "components".
7. Under 220.127.116.11, 2.5 paragraph 2, 8.2.3, add "or director" after each iteration of "dean".
8. Under 2.5, change "(see 4.3.5)" to "(see HSC Rule 12.01.99.Z1.01 V.B.2)".
9. Under: 18.104.22.168, "Provost" should be changed to "Vice-President for Academic Affairs"
10. Under: 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 3.2.2, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 3.2.5, 7.1.1 (twice), 7.1.2, 220.127.116.11.2, 18.104.22.168.3, 22.214.171.124.3.1, 126.96.36.199 (thrice), 9.2, 9.2.1, 9.3.8, 9.4.6, 9.5.1, 9.5.2 (twice), "University", where it stands alone, should be changed to "HSC".
11. Under: 188.8.131.52, 9.2.1, 9.2.2 (twice), 9.2.3 (three times), all iterations of the abbreviation "UTMC" should be changed to "HTMC".
12. Under 9.2.3, "president" should be changed to "President".
13. Under 9.3.1, 9.4.1, remove "teaching".
14. Section 2.3.2 should be titled "Non Tenure Track" and 184.108.40.206 should read "Any faculty member who has held any faculty appointment other than Assistant Lecturer ÄÄ.".
15. In section 220.127.116.11, replace "Senior Lecturer" with "Associate or Full Professor".
16. In section 2.5, line 2, delete "at the rank of Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Distinguished Lecturer, Librarian (I, II, III, or IV), Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Professor, and Distinguished Professor". On line 12, delete "For lecturers and librarians of all ranks, the annual review process will serve primarily as an evaluation focusing on performance and potential for reappointment".
17. Delete the entire section under 4. TENURE AND PROMOTION. Under 4. TENURE AND PROMOTION , add "Information about internal policy regarding faculty tenure and promotion are found in document 12.01.99.Z1.01".
18. In section 8.1, refer to "Committee on Academic Freedom, Ethics, Responsibility, Rights and Tenure (CAFERRT)".
19. Under 8.1 (twice), 18.104.22.168 (twice), 22.214.171.124 (twice), 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52 (twice), 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11 (twice), 18.104.22.168 (thrice), 9.3.1 (six times), 9.3.7, 9.4.1, 9.4.3, 9.4.4 (twice), 9.4.5, 9.4.6, 9.5.1 (twice), 9.5.2, 9.5.4, 9.5.6, 9.6.1, 9.6.2, 9.7 (twice), change all iterations of "CAFRT" to "CAFERRT".
20. In section 22.214.171.124.1, add as the first sentence the following sentence from System Rule 12.01, section 8.3.5. "The burden of proof rests with the institution to demonstrate that a bone fide financial exigency exists or that educational considerations led to the reduction or discontinuance of a program".
21. In section 126.96.36.199, replace Rules "34.01.99.M1" and "15.99.03.M1" with Rules "34.01.Z1" and "15.99.03.Z1" respectively.
22. Change heading of Section 9.4 to read "The Committee on Academic Freedom, Ethics, Responsibility, Rights and Tenure:"
23. In 5.1, delete "(see 4.5.3)".
24. On page 25, change OFFICE OF RESPONSIBILITY from "Dean of Faculties" to "Office of the Vice-President for Academic Affairs". Delete "This rule replaces PPM 188.8.131.52 and CLICK HERE TO SEE 12.01.99.M2 ® APPENDIX".
Senator Autenrieth suggested that a section be added to the document to include issues covering faculty grievances of all kinds. She pointed out that CAFRRT is a committee that deals with issues of "process". She was charged to work with the CAFRRT subcommittee to develop recommendations and then to present them to the Senate for consideration. A motion was made, seconded, and passed to this effect.
Discussion occurred about having the GSBS Committee on Curriculum and Academic Standards operate as the curriculum evaluation body for the Senate.
Speaker Opperman indicated that a manual has been started and that a committee is being formed to create a manual for the HSC. Dr. Binnie wants recommendations of faculty to serve on this committee. Names of people recommended should be forwarded to the HSC Faculty Senate Secretary/Treasurer.
Committee of the Whole
1. A discussion occurred about whether the Senate would meet in the summer. There was no final recommendation presented on the issue.
2. Senator Meininger talked about the fact that he was not happy about not being included in the committee activities for the selection of the IBT Director. He felt that the elected Senate representative had not had the opportunity for input into the process; therefore, the committee's activities could not be sanctioned by the Senate. After discussion, it was decided that a letter would be drafted and sent to Dr. Cole and Dr. Bazer explaining the Senate's extreme concern about how the matter was handled, especially the unprofessional manner of the Committee Chair.
3. The lack of IBT senator participation in Senate meetings was discussed. It was recommended that a letter be sent to senators reminding them of their responsibility to attend meetings, especially the quarterly meetings.
4. A recommendation was made that a Mediation Committee be formed.
A motion for adjournment was made, seconded, and passed and the meeting adjourned at 2:20 p.m.
HSC Faculty Senate