Faculty and staff media relations tips
The Texas A&M Health Science Center (TAMHSC) Office of Marketing and Communications (MarComm) promotes TAMHSC achievements and activities to local, regional and national media.
MarComm staff manages media relations for the TAMHSC by initiating and monitoring coverage, as well as addressing media requests for information. Most media requests about the TAMHSC or TAMHSC-related activities are routed through MarComm or the respective college/center communications office. However, journalists may contact individuals directly.
MarComm is available to help with those direct requests. Faculty and staff should clear all media calls, emails or other contact either with MarComm or the respective college/center communications office prior to responding to a reporter’s request for information and/or an interview.
When a reporter contacts you
- Obtain the reporter’s name, media outlet, contact information (e.g., phone/email), subject (i.e., reason for contacting you) and response deadline.
- Let the reporter know that MarComm or your college/center communications office will respond.
- Immediately contact Scott Maier (979-436-0614) or your respective communications director.
- For off-campus interviews, if a communications director is available, he or she can accompany you.
- For on-site/on-campus interviews, especially those that will be videotaped, a communications director or designee should always be present.
- MarComm and your college/center communications office will provide you tips and guidelines for handling the interview. In case of a crisis or emergency situation, it may be appropriate and necessary to utilize a spokesperson to represent an individual(s) and/or the TAMHSC. This provides a unified, consistent message to the public.