Hygiene and Chemical Safety
Good personal hygiene will help minimize exposure to hazardous chemicals.
When working with chemicals, follow these guidelines:
- Wash hands frequently and before leaving the laboratory. Also, wash hands before eating, drinking, smoking, or applying makeup.
- Remove contaminated clothing immediately. Do not use the clothing again until it has been properly decontaminated.
- Follow any special precautions for the chemicals in use.
In addition, follow these special precautions:
- Do not eat, drink, smoke, or apply makeup around chemicals.
- Do not wear contact lenses near chemicals, especially corrosives or volatile solvents. Please check with your principal investigator or safety officer if you have question relating wearing contact lenses.
- Do not keep food or food containers anywhere near chemicals.
- Do not use laboratory equipment to serve or store food or drinks.
- Do not sniff or taste chemicals.