When the warning is sounded:
- Cease outdoor activities.
- Seek shelter inside a building or automobile.
- Open areas; places near water, trees, metal fences, overhead wires or power lines; or elevated ground or open vehicles.
- Use of radios or cellular phones.
- The best source of information during a thunderstorm is your local news, radio stations and any NOAA weather radio.
- The 30/30 lightning safety rule: Go indoors if, after seeing lightning, you cannot count to 30 before hearing thunder. Stay indoors for 30 minutes after hearing the last clap of thunder.