Fire and Fire Alarms
Fire Inside the Building
- Activate a fire alarm or pull station.
- Call 911 and give your name, building name, address, floor, location, and other related information.
- Evacuate the building using building evacuation instructions.
Building Evacuation - when the building fire alarms sound
- Immediately evacuate using the building evacuation plan procedures.
- Walk to the nearest exit/stairwell (close the door behind you).
- Proceed to the designated gathering area outside the building, and report to your supervisor for a headcount.
- Do not re-enter the building until cleared by authorized personnel.
- Assist with the evacuation of individuals with special needs.
- Crouch low to avoid smoke and heat.
- Avoid inhaling smoke and fire gases.
- Learn the location of fire extinguishers and exits.
- Report unsafe conditions to your immediate supervisor.
Fire Outside a Building
- Call 911 (tell the caller name and address, location of fire, etc.).
- Do NOT activate the building fire alarm system.
Use Portable Fire Extinguisher if:
- You are properly trained (hands-on training).
- It is a small, contained fire (e.g., wastebasket).
- You can extinguish the fire within 15 seconds (evacuate if it takes longer).